Containerised portable water treatment plants play a large role water delivery and treatment of waste. This is especially so in South Africa's remote districts and mining and industrial-related sites. Veolia Water Technologies SA has developed technologies and solutions to enhance this offering - solutions that have been engineered to provide ideal containerised water treatment plants for multiple solutions into Africa, operating in the most remote territories and arduous terrains.
The ease of transport, set up and use of Veolia Water Technologies packaged plants, and other advantages, was discussed by Ian Lemberger, general manager - engineered systems, Veolia Water Technologies SA, at a recent panel discussion.
Containerised portable water treatments plants from Veolia provide quick delivery times and their plug-and-play installation make them user-friendly and cost-effective - there are no installation costs and set-up time is minimal. They can be transferred from site to site if necessary and plans for future expansion are easily incorporated into the design of each plant. Their ease of service and maintenance means fewer challenges for plant managers. "In addition," says Lemberger, "our containerised plants can be easily adapted to meet clients' specific requirements, they are energy efficient and facilitate easy integration into other plant systems."
Veolia's convenient, cost-effective, sustainable packaged water treatment plants include:
- A complete turnkey solution including design, fabrication and installation, as well as a technical services team that provides after-sales servicing and plant maintenance throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
- The availability of "stock" plant solutions allows for quick delivery to clients.
- Complete Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) prior to release ensures product performance and quality control.
- A robust and complete containerised design results in minimal on-site work, reducing downtime and minimising required user input and maintenance needs.
- Sustainable solutions are achieved through continuous improvement in the design of our packaged solutions.
"A systems-based design approach to our projects means products are designed for more than clients' current needs, but in such a way that ensures our products last their entire lifecycle - providing for clients' future needs as well," says Lemberger.
In addition to the'more common' advantages provided by Veolia's containerised water treatment plants, the product and processes are of such a standard that the advantages mentioned each have their own distinct advantages, resulting in an exceptional well-rounded offering. Additional advantages can be gained from Veolia's product versatility, technology, products and equipment, service, applications and operational qualities.
Veolia's containerised water treatment plants' versatility means they can be used for a range of water treatments, including ground water, industrial effluent, human/community wastewater, borehole water, seawater, and sludge treatment and handling.
Our specialised range of containerised water treatment solutions include:
- A packaged range of potable water treatment plants for use with surface, borehole, sea or brackish water as a feed source.
- A packaged range of domestic sewage treatment plants, using new generation trickling filter technology.
- Customised containerised treatment plants are designed to meet specific client requirements for both process and service water applications.
The technology advantage offered by Veolia means our containerised water treatment plants are used for:
- Membrane Technology (including reverse osmosis, ultrafiltration and more)
- Ion Exchange
Products and equipment advantage
Veolia is ISO 9001:2008 certified and utilises a strict quality management system to ensure required quality parameters are monitored and controlled from start to finish. Products are sourced from reputable suppliers and OEMs, locally and internationally, and include pressure vessels, pumps, motors, membranes, instrumentation, valves and chemicals, among others.They all meet strict quality control standards including ISO, ASME, AWS, SABS, ANSI and NSF.
A global network of subsidiaries and supplier partnerships provide Veolia access to a multitude of technologies and products including pumps, instrumentation, valves, evaporators and DAF, among many others. This network creates a global knowledge and service resource from which Veolia has direct access, helping it to provide the best solutions and service.
We also manufacture a range of products for the water treatment industry including, but not limited to:
- Pressure Vessels
- Aeration systems
- Filtration systems
Veolia provides complete systems solutions to clients incorporating design, management, fabrication, operating and maintaining a supplied treatment plant. Veolia's ability to offer and assume full responsibility for any specific aspect of a plant provides clients with performance and quality assurance.
Some of our key services include:
- Complete in-house design with associated documentation including process, electrical control and instrumentation (EC&I) and mechanical engineering. This ensures customised solutions meet all client specifications.
- Plant auditing for process improvements and plant optimisation.
- Plant walk-throughs using 3D modelling packages.
Suitable for mining applications (processes, camps and villages), small towns, temporary installations, schools, resorts, lodges, housing, golf estates, and similar sites, Veolia is in a position to provide solutions across a range of industries for numerous applications by customising these solutions to meet clients' specific requirements. We provide solutions for:
- Power plants
- Food and beverage
- Potable water
Our baseline containerised plants utilise a PLC for automation, allowing for a complete standalone operation with minimum operator intervention. A text-based HMI screen provides user-friendly control and status display, while alarm messages are logged for historical viewing. In addition, inline instruments are used to monitor and record basic process parameters such as level, flow, pressure and quality. Instruments for additional parameters are easily added to suit individual client requirements.
In the unlikely event of a failure, an audible beacon provides local warning of process or equipment faults. There are options available for connecting the plants via Ethernet or Profibus (copper, fibre optic or wireless) to SCADA and BMS for remote control and monitoring.
Our packaged / containerised concept, coupled with the aforementioned instruments and control, enables full factory acceptance testing (FAT) of each plant before it leaves the manufacturing facility, as well as having the advantage of minimal site installation requirements.
"Veolia Water Technologies South Africa has the local expertise combined with multinational resources to provide effective water treatment solutions to practically anywhere in Africa," Lemberger concludes.